Jan 5, 2008

Waterfront Seafood - Jan 4, 2008

I have to start off by saying that this was my 4th or 5th time eating at Waterfront. I don't really think it is possible for them to make anything bad by this point.

We had just gotten back from an afternoon of house hunting and Tim was headed to Village Inn when I suggested it. He was up for it, having just recieved a paycheck. We decided on going there at exactly 5PM and pulled into the parking lot a few minutes later. I have learned that this is about the perfect time to head to dinner on a friday night in Polk County if you're hungry.

We got seated immediately but the restaurant got packed shortly after that. We could hear some pretty vocal people at the tables around us talking politics. The caucuses were the previous night, and obviously no one had cooled off yet. One lady was talking anti-abortion, and that was almost annoying.

Tim started out ordering some tuna nigiri (sushi). I'm not a big fan of the uncooked varieties of sushi, even though Waterfront has the freshest, so I went to the bathroom while he ate his "fish jello".

They brought the standard sourdough loaf out and my cup of soup. I ordered lobster bisque which was the special of the night. It was just a straight lobster bisque made with cream, so it was rich but it kind of lacked lobster taste.

For the main course, Tim had a 1/2 portion of blackened mahi with pilaf and vegetables and I had the hurricane shrimp, which is a pasta dish. The shrimp was really interesting because it had a shrimp based honey/herb sauce. I got like an almost sickeningly sweet flavor followed by a kick of spice. According to the menu, the spices are worchestershire, garlic, cayenne, and thyme, but i think maybe there was some rosemary as well. I finished as much as I could before the cayenne built up too much in my mouth. I have gotten much more tolerant of cayenne but, as my mother likes to say, I'm white.

The waitress seemed slightly bored at first but I think she may have been trying to push us along so that others wouldn't have to wait. She was pretty good at refilling drinks before we were finished and getting me to take a box of what I hadn't finished.

All in all, it was another good meal at Waterfront. Total bill: $43.88+tip

Ratings: (+1 is good, 0 is average, and -1 is poor)
Food: +1
Service: +1
Atmosphere: 0
Value: +1

No comments: