Feb 1, 2009

Cafe Su - 1/30/09

Ever since the Mandarin in Beaverdale closed, I've been kind of at a loss for quality chinese food. In the current economy, I've seen constant restaurant openings and closings in the local free papers. Its hard to even know until you even get to the restaurant if it will be open.
After a little research, I determined Cafe Su was a sit down chinese place that had been in business for quite a while and was, in fact, still open.
When we drove there, I was excited to actually be driving through historic Valley Junction since I had normally just driven past. The cafe was in an older building so I was surprised to see how modern the interior decor was. The first words out of my mouth were "It looks so trendy...". It seems to have been fairly recently redone in this sort of industrial look. There were metal walls and randomly shaped neon lights. Also they had bubble wrap hung around their cash area... seriously. I can appreciate some creative design but it all seemed a bit surreal for Iowa.
They have a pretty nice bar set up there but I stuck with water and Tim had a thai iced tea. We still aren't 100% sure what the ingredients in that are but I'm thinking tamarind is added to the stuff we've seen around here because thats the only thing that explains the flavor.
The average price of a main course was just over $10 so I was a little concerned that we were "paying for the trendiness", but the food was really great. All of the vegetables were extremely fresh and you could tell that a lot of work went into making the dishes just right.
At the end we had some green tea ice cream. I overheard as we were leaving that the owner makes it. They brought a generous portion and helpfully two spoons. It was weird because on the first bite you really get that acidic green tea flavor but then after that you get kind of generic creamy ice cream flavor and then as your mouth warms up afterwards you get it really strongly again. I also had green tea burps :-\
I think we would definately go again. It was really quiet and empty for a saturday night. Good for a date night.

No comments: