Feb 18, 2009

Saraj - The Home of the Gyros

While I love Ted's Coney Island for my gyro fix, I've been wanting to try out Saraj, which is about 3 miles closer than either of the two Ted's locations. They painted on the side of the building that Saraj is the Home of the Gyro, so I figured they had to be pretty good. The first time I went there, I saw they had two varieties of standard gyro, so I knew I had to try them both, but not in one sitting.

First trip -- Gyro on a Greek pita
Massive. This isn't a bad thing, but apparently you can't order a Greek gyro without ordering fries. I got it to go and the container weighed about three pounds. Once I got home, I opened up my prize and saw that it looked just like what was pictured on the menu -- huge, barely able to close, and slathered in tsatsiki sauce. It was delicious. The fries were acceptable. I've never encountered the perfect French fry, but I knew these weren't it.

Second trip -- Gyro on Bosnian bread
Also massive, but without French fries, but for good reason. There was no picture for this one, so I had to guess what it would be like. The Bosnian gyro filled the entire to-go container! Imagine an 8-inch gyro hamburger on fried bread. Also delicious, but I have to say the Greek gyro is better.

You should go there right now and get one.

No comments: